Pertamina to kick off gas, oil exploration in Thousand Islands in March

first_imgEfforts to disseminate information regarding the project will be gradually conducted.The PHE is set to announce the plan to residents of Kelapa Island subdistrict and other Thousand Island dwellers on Feb. 18 to 19, he added. “We will inform residents so that they will know about [the exploration] and we will receive [public] support so that the drilling process can run smoothly,” Ifki said. Last year, PHE Offshore North West Java (ONWJ) administered oil and gas exploration in Thousand Islands. According to previous The Jakarta Post reports, Pertamina spent hundreds of billions of rupiah to deal with a broken well at its ONWJ block due to a misfired explosion during the drilling of the YYA-1 oil well, in July last year. In September, the broken well caused a massive oil spill that affected nine islands in Thousand Islands regency. The Environment and Forestry Ministry estimated at that time that the spill would take as long as six months to clean up. (ydp)Topics : Upstream oil and gas company PT Pertamina Hulu Energi (PHE) Offshore Southeast Sumatra (OSES) plans to start  oil and gas exploration in the Thousand Islands, north of Jakarta’s coast, next month.“Prior to the exploration, we will carry out several procedures, including informing residents living nearby the exploration area,” PHE spokesperson Ifki Sukarya said in Jakarta on Thursday as quoted by Antara.The subsidiary of state-owned oil and gas holding company Pertamina met with officials of  Thousand Islands regency and its regent, Murad Husein, to inform the relevant stakeholders on the matter. last_img read more

Read More »

TREÑAS OKS CAPITOL VENDORS BUT…

first_imgThey were mostly food vendors operating rolling stores – trisikads modified into mobile kiosks. ILOILO City – The city government is not shooing away vendorsoperating in front of the Iloilo provincial capitol on Bonifacio Drive fromlate afternoon until late at night. Last month, 13 vendors were arrested for returning to sidewalks.Personnel of the PSTMO confiscated their tables and chairs. Their merchandize,however, were spared. “Ang aton langnga i-regulate lang nga indi man mabudlay sa mga tawo nganagalakat kag sa mga salakyan,” said Treñas yesterday. “We left them with a warning. If they return to the sidewalksagain we will seize everything they have,” said PSTMO chief Jeck Conlu. Treñas tasked the Public Safety and Transportation ManagementOffice (PSTMO) to ensure that the operation of vendors in front of the capitolis regulated. Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. earlier denied giving his blessing to themobile food kiosks to occupy the sidewalk and a portion of the street in frontof the provincial capitol.  However, according to Mayor Jerry Treñas, they must not obstructthe traffic and must leave ample space on the sidewalk for people to pass. The sidewalk and street surrounding the capitol are notjurisdictions of the provincial government, he stressed. MOBILE FOOD KIOSKS. These rolling food stores can stay in front of the Iloilo provincial capitol on Bonifacio Drive, according to the city government, for as long they do not become traffic obstructions. These are actually motorcycles and trisikads modified by vendors into mobile food kiosks. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PNcenter_img For his part, Director Ariel Iglesia of the Department of Interiorand Local Government (DILG) Region 6 reiterated President Rodrigo Duterte’sorder for local chief executives to reclaim public roads and sidewalks beingused for private ends. But while the city government is giving a little leeway to thecapitol vendors, it is firm not to allow the return of the rest of the vendorsit had removed from the sidewalks since July. The city government’s road-clearing operation since July hasresulted to the relocation of 245 downtown sidewalk vendors to the vacant lotowned by the Cacho family along the downtown street of JM Basa. The vendors were apprehended on the sidewalks of Ledesma, JM Basa,Rizal, and Jalandoni streets. “Kinanghanglankabalo man ta mag-give and take,” he said. Vendors started flocking the capitol sidewalk and portion ofBonifacio Drive on Dec. 2 after the provincial government switched on itsChristmas lights and unveiled the newly redeveloped capitol grounds. But there are an estimated 1,500 sidewalk vendors across the city,according to Niel Dichupa, president of the city’s sidewalk vendor. “All public roads and public spaces are for public use, they arebeyond the commerce of man,” said Iglesia./PNlast_img read more

Read More »