Priyanka Gandhi detained on way to meet kin of firing victims in

first_imgMirzapur/Lucknow/New Delhi: Congress leader Priyanka Gandhi Vadra was Friday detained and stopped from going to Sonbhadra where 10 people were gunned down this week, escalating the political slugfest over the killings there in a land dispute.Gandhi was taken to a guesthouse in Chunar in Mirzapur district after she squatted on the road with her supporters at Narainpur, insisting that she be allowed to proceed and meet the families of those killed on Wednesday. Also Read – Encounter under way in Pulwama, militant killedThe district magistrate and the superintendent of police were talking with her at the Chunar guesthouse to persuade her from travelling ahead, Deputy Inspector General Piyush Kumar Srivastava said. But the standoff showed no sign of ending till late evening. Uttar Pradesh Congress Legislature Party leader Ajay Kumar Lallu, who was with her at the guesthouse, told PTI, “We have clearly said, either let us meet the victims or send us to jail.” Rahul Gandhi, who has resigned as the Congress president, called the police action illegal arrest, but officials said she had been taken under preventive detention. Also Read – 14-yr-old girl raped, strangled to death in UP’s ShamliAction has been taken against 151 CrPC and Priyanka Gandhi and other members of the Congress have been stopped from proceeding to Sonbhadra, where prohibitory orders have been promulgated,” Mirzapur District Magistrate Anurag Patel told PTI. She will not be allowed to proceed for apprehension of breach of peace. If she decides to stay back here we will extend security to her,” the DM said. As Congress leaders came out in Gandhi’s support and party workers held protests against the UP government, Trinamool Congress announced in New Delhi that it too planned to send a delegation to Sonbhadra on Saturday. Earlier in the day, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath blamed the previous Congress governments for the land dispute, citing how the piece of land tilled by the villagers was bought and sold over the decades. Promising justice, he announced in the state assembly that a sub-divisional magistrate and four policemen have been suspended. Twenty-nine people were arrested, he said. Bahujan Samaj Party leader Mayawati issued a statement, asking the state’s BJP government to ensure justice for the Sonbhadra victims. But she blamed both the BJP and the Congress for atrocities on tribals in the past. The party general secretary, who is in charge of eastern UP, had landed in Varanasi and met the injured at the BHU Trauma Centre before beginning the road trip to Sonbhadra, about 80 km away. Gandhi was stopped at Narainpur on the Varanasi-Mirzapur road. She demanded to be shown the orders under which she was stopped. “A boy of my son’s age was shot at and is lying in hospital. Tell me on what legal basis have I been stopped here,” she said. When told about the prohibitory orders preventing the assembly of five or more people in the area, she said she will go to Sonbhadra with a lesser number of supporters. I want to meet the victims… I only want to meet the affected families whose members were mercilessly shot dead,” she said. Meeting party workers at the Chunar guesthouse, she said, “I was told that there are orders from higher-ups but the order stopping me was not shown. “I will not leave without meeting the victims and their families,” she said. “I have come here to tell the country what is happening in this state,” she added. On Twitter, she said, “It is the duty of the UP government to arrest the criminals. My duty is to stand with the oppressed. BJP has failed to control crime but is stopping me from discharging my duty. No one can stop me from standing in support of the victims. Please stop crime. Ten people were killed and 28 injured in the clash between supporters of a village headman, Yagya Dutt, and the Gond tribals in Sonbhadra’s Ghorawal area on Wednesday. Dutt’s supporters allegedly opened fire on the tribals. A committee under the additional chief secretary (revenue) has also been constituted and will give its report within 10 days, Adityanath said in a statement in the assembly. with inputs from ptilast_img read more

Read More »

World trading order is facing biggest threat since Second World War Foreign

OTTAWA — With the winds of a potential China-U.S. trade war gaining strength, Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland says the global trading order that Canada helped create faces its greatest threat since 1945.“I think that in some ways this is the most fraught moment since the end of the Second World War. And that’s a big thing to say,” Freeland said during a panel discussion in Winnipeg on Wednesday.Freeland said the global trading order is now facing its most challenging moment since Canada helped establish it after the war, a development that laid the foundation for the peace and prosperity that much of the Western world currently enjoys.‘Together, we will fix NAFTA’: U.S. ambassador confident deal will be reached despite obstaclesHow Canada can benefit from Trump’s mad rush to wrap up NAFTA talksShe didn’t name the Trump administration, but it is at the epicentre of economic uncertainty that has thrust world markets into downward spiral in recent days.In the face of that, the U.S. now wants an agreement in principle on the North American Free Trade Agreement in the coming weeks as it swaps escalating punitive tariff measures with China.Canadians watched record gains in the market evaporate as President Donald Trump tweeted Wednesday that the U.S. lost its trade war with China a long time ago because of the incompetence of his political predecessors.Freeland will be in Washington on Thursday to meet U.S. trade czar Robert Lighthizer as part of the ongoing efforts to complete a renegotiation of the NAFTA.Freeland and Lighthizer met last month in Washington and the minister said they made good progress.“NAFTA is my biggest, most immediate, most constant challenge. It’s part of this bigger issue because the rules-based international order is also about rules-based international trade,” Freeland explained at a meeting of the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce.The broad international implications of the U.S.-China dispute are deeply disturbing, said Paul Evans, a professor of international relations at the School of Public Policy and Global Affairs at the University of British Columbia.“Global supply and value chains are going to be disrupted, the norms and rules of the global trading system eroded further and a whole new level of uncertainty built into the global economic system,” said Evans.“Add to this the Trump administration framing of China as a strategic competitor and the powder train is being laid for a major confrontation.”Joseph Pickerill, spokesman for International Trade Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne, said the government is closely monitoring the U.S.-China situation.“We believe, first and foremost, in free trade, in the rules-based institutions and norms that govern it and in protecting the integrity and reputation of our market in the process.”David MacNaughton, Canada’s ambassador to the U.S., told The Canadian Press on Wednesday that while Canada’s trade focus is on making progress with NAFTA, it is mindful of the impact of the China dispute.“The U.S. has got issues with China. We’ve got some issues with China,” the envoy said.MacNaughton said the fact that Trump, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto will all be in Peru next week for the Summit of the Americas could break the NAFTA logjam.“There is a good chance with the three leaders getting together in Peru, it provides a focus for us to work really hard to try and get as far as we can. I’m not going to predict where this is all going to end up except for the fact we’ve done our homework.”A well-placed source with first-hand knowledge of Canada’s NAFTA stance said the Peru meeting represents the best chance for the three leaders to make progress towards an agreement in principle. The source said centrepiece of any deal will be a resolution on autos.Kelly Craft, the U.S. ambassador to Canada, said in a speech Wednesday that she has “every confidence” that the three countries can “fix NAFTA so that it can work for the next 25 years.”But she said obstacles remain, including resistance to the American proposal to raise the duty-free limit on Canadians visiting the U.S. for 24 hours.“The lineup of cars driving back into Canada every weekend that has to stop and declare any purchase when travelling just for the day — think of the carbon footprint of those traffic jams spread across our border,” she told an Empire Club of Canada luncheon in Toronto.“Now, a lot of Canadians might not agree on what the U.S. suggests — $800 a day — but come on — $200?”With files from Colin Perkel in Toronto and Joan Bryden in Ottawa read more

Read More »